Monday, December 04, 2006

"All My Transgender Children"

Hot off the presses! Slate.com, in a recent commentary, claimed that All my Children, the 37-year-old soap opera, will be the first to feature a transgender character in their show. I say good for them. It takes some guts to go against the norm, especially for the audience that they serve. In a world where the minority it too often under-represented and mis-represented, I applaud ABC's step out of the box.
"Jeffrey Carlson, whose looks are handsomely androgynous in the way of a Hunky Dory-era David Bowie, plays the transgender character, whose name is Zarf and who has achieved success as a rock star, despite having the stage name Zarf."

Did I mention that I love Slate.com? I digress...I am excited, though, to see some representation for the horribly misrepresented group of people. I have to say that I am a bit nervous that the portrayal will be on a soap opera. I mean, really, how realistic are soap operas? I can't even stand to watch them! I guess that means I won't be seeing the show, but I wish the endeavor the best.
"Agnes Nixon, the storied creator of All My Children, has long been devoted to exploring "controversial" social issues in the most sophisticated way that her art form allows."

Way to go Ms. Nixon, for not being able to address issues that most Americans, or media, don't want anything to do with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home