Sunday, November 12, 2006

Borat was a Bummer

I went and saw Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan this weekend with my family, and can't say that I was impressed. We had talked in class about documentaries and about how in filming the producers may, in fact, take advantage of those being filmed. This is something I believe to be very true in the mockumentary.

Don't get me wrong, I did laugh many times throughout the movie. I found it quite humorous when Borat tried to hug and kiss the New Yorkers. I laughed as Borat showed the ignorance of many of the attendees of the rodeo. I did not laugh as he and his friend fought naked. I found it disturbing and sad, though, as the people of Kazakhstan were filmed, as I'm sure they had no idea what was going on.

I felt very sorry for many of the people being taken advantage of. Many, if not all of those filmed believed that Borat was a true person--not an actor. Sadly, I was one of them, until I was told otherwise in class. Maybe I'm too empathetic to those that were duped, but people lost their jobs because of a man pretending to be Borat.

I guess just felt sorry for the man he called "retard" and woman he basically said was ugly, as well as the many others he offended. Those he did offend were polite because they thought he didn't know any better. I just don't feel that people should be blatantly and unknowingly mocked on film without knowing it, for my personal entertainment. Although there were points in which I laughed, such as the buying of a bear, I was appalled at many of the things Borat said and did for a few laughs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home