Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Inevitability of Saw III

I bought into the hype this week and attended Saw III Halloween night. The movie grossed $34.4 million it's opening weekend, so it had to be good, right? The useless murder and gore proved to be too much for many British fans as the BBC reported sick and fainting fans in an article titled "Film fans faint at Saw III show."

I didn't faint or get sick, but I could have. The movie was disturbingly violent showing disgusting and heinous murders. I turned my head and closed my eyes more than a few times, but not because I was scared. I thought I was going to vomit.

The binary opposition of good versus evil was all inevitable in the movie. The ending, although I normally like knowing what will happen, was all too predictablle. The gore continued until only one character was left, mourning the loss of his wife due to his own stupidity.

The scary movie genre has never really done a whole lot for me. To me, scary movies don't really follow the narrative structure, and I can't say I've ever really learned a lesson from a scary movie. I suppose you could say that in Saw III the moral is to be a good person or Jigsaw will come after you, but that's not really a lesson.

To me, though, any movie that causes people to get sick or faint has some problems. I like something that I can learn from. Maybe I should stick to the independent films I enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home