Monday, November 27, 2006

A Woman's Christmas Chores

As the Christmas season descends upon us, I can't help but think of the way media portray women's responsibilities throughout the season. It seems that everywhere I turn there are frilly decorations for the home, Christmas cards to be sent, and cookie recipes galore. Christmas is a stressful time for everyone, but I'm just beginning to get a taste of the pressure placed on women to perform their "duties" during the holiday season.

I come from a divorced home, so I inevitably take on a motherly role when I am with my Dad. Cleaning the house, cooking the meals, and keeping everyone happy is on my to do list. This responsibility has been pushed to the forefront, though, with the holiday season. Christmas with the family will be at my Dad's house, and although I know it isn't necessarily my responsibility, I am feeling the pressure to keep the house clean and prepare for the holiday.

Not only did I respond to this pressure by giving the house a thorough scrub down, but I baked 10 dozen cookies this past weekend. Sadly, I did not get the decorations put up, but I have my plan ready to execute.

I learned this weekend that there is more to Christmas than sitting around the Christmas tree and opening up the presents. I'm no longer a little kid that's satisfied with $10 Barbie. I'm 21 years old now-no longer a child. I suppose I got my own little taste of what it's like to play the adult feminine role at Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home