Sunday, October 08, 2006

Home cooking an ideal of the past?

Growing up, there was always a "supper time," when my family gathered around the table to eat the meal my mom had spent most of the day preparing. I suppose you could say, at that point in time, we fit the representation that media had constructed for us. Things have changed over the years. My parents now live four hours apart, I can't remember the last time my mom was home before 5:00 PM, and when I do get the luxury of eating at home, we're not eating meat and potatoes, but a pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut or Taco John's.

I wasn't surprised to hear that this is becoming the norm for many families in the United States. In Patrik Jonsson's article, "For not that much more, Americans opting to eat out," I found that my family was pretty normal. As a poor college student, I don't get to eat out a whole lot. I enjoy going home, though, because for the time and the money, my Mom brings home take out quite a bit. Afterall, who wants to slave over the stove after a long day's work?
"In the next decade, more than half the average household food budget will be spent on meals bought outside the home compared with 25 percent in 1955, the NRA reports."

Society times and standards have obviously changed, but I really can't blame them. I can buy a cheeseburger, fries and a soda at McDonald's for $3.15, or I can spend $6.50 to eat at the Simpson's Pfeiffer dining hall-not that I really have a choice!

The media, too, have changed the represenations to fit the new standards. Going out to eat has become expectation. Really though, when was the last time you can remember seeing a television family sitting down to eat a meal the mother figured has made? I don't watch a whole lot of television, but I can't think of one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home