Sunday, September 24, 2006

Bye Bye Business Section?

After reading a recent interview with SABEW president Dave Kansas, I was interested to find out that many newspapers have been cutting stock listings from their business section, not that I personally noticed. As I did some more research into the matter, specifically what newspapers have and will be cutting stock listings, I was surprised to see The Des Moines Register on the list. Other papers that will be cutting the stock sections include The Chicago Tribune, Providence Journal, Denver Post, Indianapolis Star and Newsday.

Honestly, when I read the paper, if I'm not reading it online, the business section gets tossed aside with the ads, so this was not upsetting news. What shocked me, though, was the notion that newspapers may get rid of the business section altogether.

"I think some papers have gotten too aggressive on this front, driven primarily by high newsprint costs. But I imagine that five years from now printed stock listings will be either all gone or just a weekly affair. My big concern is that some papers will use the elimination of stock listings to justify eliminating the business section altogether," Kansas said.
I understand that stocks are every changing; maybe it just doesn't make sense to print something that changes every minute anymore. The world wide web seems to serve this function much better, with stock tickers galore.
Although I don't read the business section, I think that it would be a disservice for newspapers to get rid of it. The money market plays a huge role in our everyday lives, whether I, or anyone else, doesn't want to admit it. Although I currently don't read the business section, maybe it's an activity that I should commit to habit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home