Monday, September 18, 2006

Real Life Laguna

So I guess I'll have to admit that I'm a closet Laguna Beach Fan. To be honest, it's not something I like to admit. I guess that I really don't like to confess how excited I was when I found out that my roommate had the first two seasons on DVD, either. The world of Laguna Beach has become reality for many fans, as MTV has announced its introdution of "Virtual Laguna Beach." I may like Laguna Beach, but I don't know how excited I am about a "virtual seaside hangout with three dimensional characters".

I know that Laguna Beach is claimed to be reality TV, although I don't think anyone believes that it's all too real. I did find it interesting, though, that now fans of the show can become, in essence, part of it.

“You can not only watch TV, but now you can actually live it,” Van Toffler, the president of the MTV Networks Music, Film and Logo Group, said in an interview.

I really don't think I want to "live Laguna Beach"; I'm perfectly content just watching it. Afterall, who wants to be a part of a group of backstabbing high school girls? I admit, it's entertaining, but I don't want to be part of it.

What sounds even worse to me is the advertising they're planning on incorporating into the virtual world. Virtual Laguna Beach already has relationships with the brands of Pepsi-Cola, Secret, and Cingular. I'm sure advertisers are having a heydey. After watching a few ads, you receive more money to buy your name brand clothes. No thanks.

I don't think that this is an online venture that I'll be participating in. To me, it sounds like The Sims visit Laguna Beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home